Saturday, December 5, 2009

Back from holiday, back to reality...


Nevis West Indies

Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.

Sailing

Catching full rapture
of breeze on mainsail
I inhale ... a freedom akin
Magic of waves
gently rock me awry
as I bend from the sail
against wind

Releasing my cares
I then think to dare
close my eyes
and venture out to sea
To let life begin
as I’m sailing the wind
absolved of custody from worries - - I’m free!

Salty waves make wake a cool misty spray
The creaky old mast, bends and moans
Sedated in peace
under my breath I release
hushed lilts
from old mariner’s songs

Not picture nor narration depict how I feel
as I awaken
from my wishful dreams of old
This sailor within me
keeps hold yearnings to be free
So - - I won’t quit sailing dreams...till life lets go!

Our catamaran captain made the BEST rum punch, here is his recipe:

Yum Yum I Love Rum
In a large pitcher, combine:
1 bottle of Dark Rum
1/2 bottle White Rum
3/4 bottle of grenadine
2 cups fresh pineapple juice
Fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice
Water & Ice to taste
FRESHLY GRATED NUTMEG ON TOP

Pirates and sailors, who were no stranger to the Caribbean, are said to have created this unique melding of East Indian and West Indian culture. The word "punch" is said to originate with the Hindi word "panch", which means "five". An easy way to remember the proper proportions for a rum punch is this poem: One of sour / Two of sweet / Three of strong / and Four of weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment